Would you agree if I told you that every couple has a secret? You’re certainly wondering why I ask you this personal question. Don’t worry, I do not really expect an answer. We all know that nobody’s perfect
And I won’t be able to give you tips or advice about how your relationship should or shouldn’t work – it’s neither my business nor my area of expertise! I just wanted to share with you some findings of the latest ING International Survey I find interesting about … money secrets in Luxembourg resident couples:
- Almost one out of three (29%) think it’s normal for couples to keep a few secrets about money from each other; similar to the European average of 31%.
- One out of ten revealed that in the past12 months they bought something and they hid the expense from their partner – which is less than the European average (one out of five people)
- Age influences the way we deal with money. As a matter of fact, the younger we are (between 18 and 24 years-old) the more we hide expenses from our partner (20%). It tends to happen less often to people aged 55 and over (9%).
- 17% of Luxembourg respondents declared having a secret bank account their partner doesn’t know about.
- 7% don’t disclose exactly their salary to their partner… and also here we’re more honest than the European average (13%)!
What about you, do you have money secrets?
The queen of cards. There are many different types and they offer many possibilities other than cashless payment, from differed repayment to additional guarantees on purchases.
3D Secure is an internationally recognised security standard for online payments. The service is limited in Luxembourg to credit cards.
If it’s true that when we shop in a store and handover physical cash, the pain of paying finds the act prompts more awareness about spending, and parting with cash may even hurt a bit more than swiping a bank card.