The claims made by certain sites, advertisements, etc., on the Web as regards the functionalities and qualities of plug-ins, such as a higher browser speed, higher-quality images, etc., are often false. Once installed, these plug-ins may perform various operations on your computer, without your knowledge, that make it possible, for example, to:
- collect information (username and password) without your approval;
- damage the data on your computer (file deletion);
- monitor your surfing (new search page, new start-up page);
- install new applications;
- enable remote takeover;
- misappropriate your assets when you connect to www.ing.lu.
Given these risks, we recommend that you do not download a plug-in without being sure of its purpose and without having taken the precaution of verifying its origin.